Senior Project Manager
BBC Media Action
- Position type: Fixed Term
- Reports To: Country Director
- Working Hours: 40 hours per week
- Contract Duration: Fixed term contract until 31 March 2018 (subject to funding)
- Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Date of Joining: ASAP
- Who can apply: Any national with relevant experience
- Job reference: 16_11_31
- BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change in some of the world`s poorest places. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to:
- -produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences; and
- -strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
- BBC Media Action in Bangladesh uses media and communications to improve family health, enable people to hold their leaders to account and to help people improve their economic security and preparedness for disaster. We are using television and social media to support Bangladeshis to adapt to changes in climate, and supporting humanitarian and media partners to improve the way communications is used in disasters. Our growing portfolio of high profile, quality television drama, factual programmes, public service announcements and radio programmes are helping to improve sexual, maternal and child health.
- At a time of transition for our work in Bangladesh, and in anticipation of a growth in our project portfolio over the coming months, we are seeking a proactive Senior Project Manager to ensure solid delivery of existing commitments, to lead the inception phase of new projects and to secure new business for the country office.
Job Description / Responsibility
- Job purpose:
- Reporting to the Country Director, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management and delivery of our media for development project work in Bangladesh. The postholder will be responsible for ensuring that our projects deliver on time, on budget and to high quality. S/he will ensure that the content responds to audience needs, as identified through formative research and user-testing, and that it fulfils development objectives to ensure impact. The Senior Project Manager will directly manage senior project and production staff and coordinate with research, administration and finance teams to oversee project delivery. He or she will support teams to make editorial decisions in line with BBC editorial guidelines and will be responsible for financial and narrative reporting internally and to donors. The Senior Project Manager will also help to maintain relationships with partners and donors, and will contribute to securing new income through developing project ideas and writing proposals. The post will be based in Dhaka and may require some national travel.
- Main Duties:
- Lead and manage the delivery of projects in Bangladesh on time, on budget and to high standards.
- Support the creative development, editorial direction and production management of multimedia outputs, working closely with TV, interactive and radio staff.
- Work alongside the Executive Editor to ensure all outputs adhere to BBC editorial standards.
- Help ensure that media outputs are produced in an integrated and coherent manner, ensuring high editorial and production standards and the most efficient use of resources.
- Ensure that the specific development objectives of the projects, as defined in project design and theory of change and informed by research findings, are fully reflected in media outputs.
- Work alongside other members of the in-country senior management team to define and drive forward approaches in key, cross-cutting areas, including gender, youth and digital.
- Build project management capacity and support staff development in production and other editorial processes.
- Manage the projects’ branding, marketing and promotion within Bangladesh and elsewhere in close coordination with BBC Media Action’s communications team and other parts of the BBC.
- Assist the Country Director to manage relationships with funding agencies, stakeholders and partners, as well as with advisors and other staff in BBC Media Action headquarters and the wider BBC.
- Develop, manage and forecast project budgets, and complete timely financial and narrative reporting for internal and donor use.
- Contribute to the development of new business for BBC Media Action in Bangladesh through developing project ideas and writing proposals.
- Support the Country Director to ensure the security, health and safety of staff, and ensure compliance with all BBC safety rules and all relevant legal requirements.
- Considerable experience developing and managing complex projects in the development sector.
- Demonstrable understanding and commitment to international development, including the use of media for developmental goals.
- Significant experience in the effective management of diverse teams, including personnel development and capability management.
- Strong financial management skills, including experience of managing large budgets and knowledge of the reporting requirements of funders.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiating and diplomatic skills, including experience working with colleagues whose first language is not English.
- Proven ability to develop new business ideas, present these persuasively to potential partners and funders and write successful proposals.
- Understanding of BBC editorial values and demonstrable potential to acquire strong media editorial skills in order to make sensitive editorial judgements at a senior level.
- Specialist experience working in one of BBC Media Action’s key thematic areas: health (particularly maternal/child health and sexual and reproductive health), resilience (particularly economic development, disaster preparedness and humanitarian response) or governance (particularly social and political inclusion, accountability and freedom of expression).
- Experience living and working overseas.
- Excellent written English skills.
- Desirable skills and experience:
- Demonstrable interest in Bangladesh.
- Experience in managing a portfolio of multiple, simultaneous complex projects.
- Experience in more than one of the thematic areas listed above.
- Experience living and working in Bangladesh or another developing country in Asia.
- The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decisions made.
- Imagination / Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Leadership: Ability to create a vision and inspire others to realise it irrespective of circumstance.
- Resilience: Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set-backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Talent Management / Developing Others: Is able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- As per INGO standard. Benefits include two festival bonuses and gratuity equivalent to gross salary. Group Life Insurance including inpatient and outpatient coverage.
Interested applicants should carefully complete the BBC Media Action job application form
and email to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the position in the subject field. Please note that we do NOT accept any CV/Resume. Any persuasion will disqualify the candidate. The BBC is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Deadline : Dec 17, 2016
BBC Media Action