As a service provider with worldwide operations in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. GIZ is a public-benefit federal enterprise and supports the German Government as well as many public and private sector clients in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
For the team of our German-Bangladesh Higher Education Network for Sustainable Textiles project, we seek applications from suitable candidates for a position of “Advisor”.
The German-Bangladesh Higher Education Network for Sustainable Textiles (HEST) targets the textile and garment sector with the objective of enhancing the capacities of study programmes to include sustainability issues and responsible business practices as well as fostering applied research. The network will facilitate joint projects between the unversities of both countries. Furhtermore will the prgramme offer applied training for managers and promote collaboration between academics and the garment industry on sustainability issues.
The key intervention areas are:
- Improving academic qualityThrough curricula upgrading and improved teaching capacities of public and private universities the study programmes will offer enhanced lessons of didactics, technical knowledge, practical skills in responding to the needs of the garment sector.
- Boosting applied researchGerman and Bangladeshi universities will undertake joint research projects to address sustainability issues of the industry.
- Enhancing management capacitiesTraining for industry practitioners to upgrade their skills in leadership of responsible business practice in the area of social and environmental standards.
About the job:
Contract duration: January 2017 – June 2019
Job Location : Dhaka
The advisor is responsible for:
- coordinating the management training component on Social and Environmental Standards
- assisting in the programme coordination and provide professional advisory service on the programme part related to the German-Bangladesh Universities cooperation
- liaising with broad range of partners and monitor the programme progress
1. Advising the partner institution(s)
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint programme activities with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and with the participating universities
- provides advice to include corporate partners in the higher education adapted research
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events with the programme’s area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- deputize the Programme Coordinator
2. Coordination and implementing tasks
- coordinates the training component for textile and garment manager
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of activities in consultation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Universities
- assists in general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates project activities at local level in consultation with the programme coordinator and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- handles communication activities in Bangladesh and compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- coordinates short term experts assignments
- assists in handling the order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting)
3. Networking and cooperation
- supports cooperation in the programme with regular contact and dialogue with the government, the academic institutions, the private sector
- keeps in communication with other partners, assists with PR work and cooperates with organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationship
- organizes the network management
4. Knowledge management
- ensures knowledge transfer of programme information
- develops strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- prepares input for programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme coordinator and GIZ Head Office
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Masters /MSc / MBA / BSc / BBA, Economics or an area that is related to the programme objectives
- 7 years’ professional experience in combination of one of the following working context :
- development cooperation
- textile and garment sector
- training and research with the academic sector
- CSR experiences in the supply chain with a sound understanding of current sustainability trend in the garment sector and the social and environmental challenges
- Experience working with government institutions
- Diplomatic approach in communication with stakeholders
Other knowledge, additional competences
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English, good knowledge of Bangla and a working knowledge of German is an asset
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies
- experiences in public relation activities
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
Applications should include:
- A cover letter briefly describing their motivation and how they meet the above requirements
- An updated CV with picture (Certificates should not be included with the application)
- Recent recommendation letters from the employer
Attachment upload process:
- In the online application form, please upload your CV and Cover Letter in the Attachment tab by selecting file type “Resume” and “Cover Letter” respectively.
- For uploading the recommendation letter, please select “Write-up” as file type.
- If you face any technical difficulties while applying for this position, please contact us at this email address
We only accept electronic applications.
If you meet the above requirements you can apply through the link below:
Last Date of Application : 26 November 2016
No phone calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated according to the merit and with strict confidentiality.