Program Officer- Advocacy
- Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh with travel to field
- Contract Status: 15 months
Job Description / Responsibility
- About the role
- Dhaka Earthquake and Emergency Preparedness (DEEP) project aims to enhance earthquake and emergency preparedness and reinforce de-centralised response capacities in Dhaka’s south. With the support of Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS), Christian Aid (CA), Action Contre La Faim (ACF), International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), American Red Cross (ARC), Germen Red cross (GRC) will basically lead the consortium project. The capital of Bangladesh features (a) considerable earthquake hazard, (b) numerous risk factors due to poor urban planning (e.g. poorly constructed buildings, lack of open spaces for evacuation and access, absence of hydrants in most areas), while also (c) being insufficiently prepared to respond to earthquakes and other major emergencies (fires, floods).
- The DEEP project builds on three expected results of (1.) enhancing institutional preparedness (Fire Service, Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS), Ward Disaster Management Committees (WDMC), health centers and blood services), (2.) raising knowledge of earthquake risk and coordination, and (3.) increasing the engagement of schools and community associations in preparedness and risk reduction.
- As an implementing partner Christian Aid will bring the learning from this program and other related work into the DEEP project, coordinating the advocacy initiatives on behalf of the consortium. Being one of the representatives of the INGOs on Humanitarian Country Task Team (comprising of UN agencies, the government, the clusters etc.), CA is well-placed to carry out the advocacy work at the national level. Mapping of the relevant networks/platforms, develop advocacy strategy & planning, specific initiative to bring changes in the relevant policies, procedures and practices, continuous communications with relevant stakeholders, ensure partners to join the network/platforms effectively, documentation of good practices would be within sphere of his/her role.
- Ideal candidates should be educated to a minimum Master’s degree in Social Science, Anthropology, Administration, Information Management, Project Management, Engineering, Finance, Communications or any related field.
- 3 to 5 year(s)
- 3 to 5 years of Advocacy experience
- Capacity to produce high-quality briefs and reports in both Bangla and English.
- Specialised knowledge of advocacy and networking.
- Verbal and written fluency in English and local language.
- Proven ability to deal with a wide range of stakeholders, Networks along with INGOs, UN, Govt etc
- Considerable experience in mapping the networks, developing advocacy strategy
- Will be able to support in designing campaign materials
- Very comfortable and enthusiastic in communications with wider stakeholder of different level, L/NGOs, INGOs, Govt, UN, Donors
- Familiar with the wider humanitarian stakeholders in Bangladesh
- Experience of working on DRM/DRR
- Worked closely with the DRM professionals
- Have received foundation training on DRM/DRR
- BDT 1,349,259- BDT 1,677,106 gross per annum plus medical reimbursement, provident fund, gratuity and medical insurance.
As part of the application you will be asked to demonstrate your suitability by giving answers to the following questions. Using the guidance notes may help you formulate your answers
Tell us about a time when you had to develop working relationships with different individuals or other organisations to further your own organisation’s goals
Innovation and creativity:
Please tell us about a time when you adapted or amended your original decision because it did not produce the expected or desired result?
Effectiveness and accountability:
Tell us about a time when you evaluated both the benefits and risks to your team, department or organization of implementing a new idea or way of working and paid particular attention to ways of reducing risk. Also please ensure how you have ensured the accountability within the team.
We value the contribution each person makes to the success of our organisation, so you can expect a range of rewards and benefits that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in our workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of caste, race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief. We encourage applications from socially excluded communities, ie SC (Dalit), ST (Adivasi), religious minorities, people living with disabilities and especially women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note CVs will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by 25th October 2017 please assume your application was unsuccessful.
For queries related to the role and online applications please contact us on: email@example.com
How to Apply:
To apply for this post and download detailed role profile logon to: https://jobs.christianaid.org.uk/vacancy/program-officer-advocacy-1380/1398/description/ and complete the online application.
Christian Aid values diversity and aspires to reflect this in our workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of caste, race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief. We encourage applications from socially excluded communities, ie SC, ST, religious minorities, people living with disabilities and especially women candidates to apply.
Application Deadline : Aug 2, 2017
Business : NGO